Ran into this one recently. When accessing Office 365 via Exchange from Outlook 2013, an error pops up.
There is a problem with the proxy server’s security certificate. The name on the security certificate is invalid or does not match the name of the target site outlook.office365.com.
Outlook is unable to connect to the proxy server. (Error Code 0)
After the “Patch Tuesday” updates this month I started having an issues with my PC, having to do with entering sleep or returning from sleep. It would just hang at a black screen, and I would have to hold down the power button to shut down the machine.
After a couple of days, I removed the non-security updates, and the problem seemed to have been resolved. I waited a few days to be sure, and then ran a full backup.
Playing through New Super Mario Bros. 2. In world 3-A, you hit a rotating item block that cycles between a super mushroom, a 1-up mushroom, a fire flower, and a golden flower. (You can see it at around the 3:02 mark in this video.) When you hit the block, whichever item is currently in rotation pops out the top. Assuming that you hit the block at a reasonably random time, you have a 25% chance of getting any particular item.
I wanted to get the golden flower in order to be able to remove the blocks and open up a pipe further on. How many times did I have to try before I got the golden flower? 24.
What are the chances that, assuming each item appears randomly, it would take 24 tries to get the golden flower? If my statistics are right, it’s along the lines of (3/4)^(24-1) (the chance that something that’s not the golden flower appears 23 times in a row), or about 0.13%.
Just a short story of my rotten luck of the day. :-)
The site has a new look. This is the WordPress “Twenty Fourteen” theme with some CSS tweaks to make it look better on large displays (still looks great on small displays). It still needs some work, but I think the site looks a little nicer.
Preparing to do some work on the site, I’ve deleted a lot of pages that are no longer relevant. If you came here looking for something and the page is gone, sorry!
Things may be in flux periodically while I work on switching the site theme.
I’m looking to share my photo library (pushing 40 GB) between multiple computers being used by multiple users. And if I’m going to set something up for this, there’s some other data that would be convenient to share as well.
I tried using BitTorrent Sync to keep it off of the cloud servers, but it’s a little cumbersome and a little buggy. So I’m looking at the professional cloud storage services. The ones I am evaluating are Microsoft SkyDrive, Dropbox, and Google Drive. I have them all installed right now and I will evaluate them on a few different criteria that apply to my use specifically.
I’ve been keeping an eye on MariaDB for a while. Since MySQL was acquired by Oracle, there have been concerns in the community about how Oracle will manage it going forward. MariaDB is a fork of MySQL, run by some of the people who originally created MySQL, that was created to address these concerns. It’s recently been picking up a fair amount of attention, in particular with some Linux distributions choosing to use it as a replacement for MySQL. (This reminds me of what happened with LibreOffice a couple years back.)
Anyway, I work with a MySQL system and I now have a need to get it running on a cluster of some sort, for scalability and redundancy. Since MariaDB Galera Cluster appears to be a little easier to set up and more flexible than MySQL Cluster, I figured that this would be a good time to put it to the test.
The purpose of this post is to document the process that I went through getting a MySQL database moved over to MariaDB and set up in a cluster. I hit a few snags along the way, so I figure that this could be useful to others.
I’ve ran into this a few times. When trying to enable BitLocker in Windows 8, it starts out working but the vague error message “Element not found” quickly appears and it is not possible to proceed with the encryption.
For me, this happens after cloning the Windows install onto a new drive. According to Microsoft, when using a TPM module to store the keys, using UEFI to boot, and the boot drive has changed, this error will appear. It’s most likely the same with Windows 7 as well.
Fortunately, the solution is simple.
Open an administrative command prompt and run this command to reinitialize the boot loader:
Then reboot the machine and try to start BitLocker again.
Back in the day, my site lived at http://aaronserv.dyndns.org/. A few other hosted sites (like FFSF) lived in subdirectories under this domain name. Today, I have appropriate redirects in place so that people hitting the old URLs will make it to the right place. Although the aaron-kelley.net domain name has been in use since 2005, there are still links and references to the aaronserv.dyndns.org domain name scattered around the web.
Dyn has decided that they are now going to require users to sign in to their account once every 30 days (or pay a yearly fee) to continue to use their dynamic DNS service on domains like dyndns.org. A dynamic DNS update client set to run periodically will not satisfy this requirement. I’m not up for the hassle so I am going to let the domain name lapse whenever they decide to enforce this.
Ah, here’s an old one.
Mario Paint was released in 1992 for the Super Nintendo. I got the game with my Super Nintendo as a Christmas gift when I was in 2nd grade. Video games were my thing, but I didn’t have very many of them, so I played the ones that I did have perhaps a little bit too much.
Let’s take a look at the Mario Paint canvas.