Moving a single-instance MySQL server to MariaDB Galera Cluster

I’ve been keeping an eye on MariaDB for a while.  Since MySQL was acquired by Oracle, there have been concerns in the community about how Oracle will manage it going forward.  MariaDB is a fork of MySQL, run by some of the people who originally created MySQL, that was created to address these concerns.  It’s recently been picking up a fair amount of attention, in particular with some Linux distributions choosing to use it as a replacement for MySQL.  (This reminds me of what happened with LibreOffice a couple years back.)

Anyway, I work with a MySQL system and I now have a need to get it running on a cluster of some sort, for scalability and redundancy.  Since MariaDB Galera Cluster appears to be a little easier to set up and more flexible than MySQL Cluster, I figured that this would be a good time to put it to the test.

The purpose of this post is to document the process that I went through getting a MySQL database moved over to MariaDB and set up in a cluster.  I hit a few snags along the way, so I figure that this could be useful to others.

Continue reading Moving a single-instance MySQL server to MariaDB Galera Cluster

Unable to enable BitLocker on Windows 8 – “Element not found”

I’ve ran into this a few times.  When trying to enable BitLocker in Windows 8, it starts out working but the vague error message “Element not found” quickly appears and it is not possible to proceed with the encryption.

For me, this happens after cloning the Windows install onto a new drive.  According to Microsoft, when using a TPM module to store the keys, using UEFI to boot, and the boot drive has changed, this error will appear.  It’s most likely the same with Windows 7 as well.

Fortunately, the solution is simple.

Open an administrative command prompt and run this command to reinitialize the boot loader:

bcdboot %systemdrive%\Windows

Then reboot the machine and try to start BitLocker again.