I’ve been keeping an eye on MariaDB for a while. Since MySQL was acquired by Oracle, there have been concerns in the community about how Oracle will manage it going forward. MariaDB is a fork of MySQL, run by some of the people who originally created MySQL, that was created to address these concerns. It’s recently been picking up a fair amount of attention, in particular with some Linux distributions choosing to use it as a replacement for MySQL. (This reminds me of what happened with LibreOffice a couple years back.)
Anyway, I work with a MySQL system and I now have a need to get it running on a cluster of some sort, for scalability and redundancy. Since MariaDB Galera Cluster appears to be a little easier to set up and more flexible than MySQL Cluster, I figured that this would be a good time to put it to the test.
The purpose of this post is to document the process that I went through getting a MySQL database moved over to MariaDB and set up in a cluster. I hit a few snags along the way, so I figure that this could be useful to others.